The Thousand Islands Sun newspaper ran a story on June 8 by Pamela McDowell describing the current renovation activity at Rock Island Lighthouse, as relayed by Kevin Kieff, with the New York State Office of Parks, Restoration and Historic Preservation.
Key details include:
- lead is being removed from the interior of the dwelling
- National Grid is installing electricity
- an underwater sewer line is being laid to Fisher's Landing
- a water treatment system will be installed on the island
- the bid request process for restoring the tower has started
- the project is on schedule to complete in 2012
- the end result will include restrooms, a museum, and gift shop
A photograph depicting the tower as well as the house with the porch completely boarded up is included.
Special thanks to Donna Gorrell for sharing this article!